The dream catcher is a trendy decorative accessory. In many cultures, it is used as a kind of guardian that keeps evil spirits away. In addition, it plays the role of a hyper original and beautiful decorative object, which inspires us to believe and pursue our dreams. Given its many virtues, the dream catcher becomes an ideal decoration piece to breathe a romantic and whimsical note into its decor. How to make a dream catcher complete guide.
Have you ever fallen in love with this intriguing and unique object? A fantastic solution to complete an atmosphere of boho chic or urban jungle, for example. So, welcome and look at our several ideas and tips for making a macrame dream catcher below.
A handmade dreamcatcher: what symbolism?
According to the most popular belief about dreamcatchers, they protect against bad dreams during sleep. The spider web is woven into the center of creation that captures and prevents evil spirits and nightmares. The round shape represents the cycle of life while recalling the conditions of the sun and the moon. Feathers are most often associated with flight, wisdom, and freedom.
What materials are needed to make a macrame dream catcher
In general, there are different types of dreamcatchers. These were initially made only with natural materials. However, today, they are found in various versions, in multiple shapes and colors. The basic supplies to make such a pretty decorative item are:
- A-frame – a plastic or metal hoop or any other support of a chosen shape (heart, triangles); you can use a few wooden branches to make your frame.
- Ropes/threads – to make the decoration inside the frame in the form of a spider’s web and also to make the fringe.
- We will need to bring a pair of scissors to be able to cut the cords to the chosen size.
- Usually, if you bet on a clean and straightforward model, you can stop there; if not, you can use some embellishments like ribbons, feathers, wooden beads, etc., to refine his creation drawing ideas.
What type of rope to use for a DIY dream catcher?
Usually, you can experiment with the essential materials to make your dreamcatcher. Thus, it is possible to use a hemp cord, an artificial tendon, lace bands, silk or wool thread, and many others in terms of rope. However, the best alternative remains the macrame cord (usually natural cotton) because it is simultaneously flexible, resistant, and robust.
Dreamcatcher weaving technique for beginners
Want to have fun creating a macrame dream catcher? However, do you have no idea where to start your weaving adventure? No problem. In the following lines, we share a straightforward and enjoyable tutorial for beginners.
- Pair of scissors
- Macrame cord
- Metal (or wood) embroidery hoop
- Wood beads (optional)
- Watercolor painting (optional)
- Start by cutting 50-60 pieces of cord about 80-90 cm in length. The number of cords to cut depends on the desired size of the dream catcher.
- Now is the time to tie all the strings to the embroidery hoop. For this, we will use the macrame knot called “lark’s head.” Take a rope, fold it in half and pass it over the circle forming a loop. Then give the two strands through the loop and tighten. Well done! You already have your first rope attached to the process. Do the same with the rest of the strings.
- Once all the strings are attached, use your scissors to cut the lines into a V shape (with the middle rows longer and shorter side strings).
- Normally, you can leave your creation as it is. If you still want to refine it, we suggest you opt for a tie and dye painting.
Determine which color you want to use for your dream catcher. For this tutorial, we used purple paint and red paint. Start by protecting the surface you will work on by putting a few towels on it. Then fill a cup of water and mix it with the first paint color. Using a brush, start applying paint to the bottom of the strings. Then change color. Mix the two shades gently to create an effect. Let it dry well.
Tie a different rope on the top of your creation to make a suspension. If you are betting on an even more intriguing rendering, you can add a few wooden beads or, for example, glue a wooden stick in the center of the circle. And there you have it, and your first dream catcher is ready!
How to make a dream catcher with superficial macrame knots
The second dream catcher variant we are offering is also an original and easy idea. We will use the following basic knots for this project: lark’s head knot, reef knot, and half a knot. Now let’s see the realization step by step.
Materials: metal circle (or wood), macrame rope, and scissors
- We start by cutting ten pieces of rope, 2.5 m in length each.
- Then, we tie the ropes to the circle using a lark’s head knot.
- Now, we are going to make a row of 5 flat knots. A flat knot is made with four strands. We leave the two central strands, and we work with the two outer strands. Take the left thread and fold it to make a shape of 4. We pass the right strand over it, and from behind, we bring it out in the loop of 4. Tighten the two middle strands. Do the same in the other direction. There you go, your flat knot and ready. Repeat the process with the rest of the strands. So, you need to get a row of 5 flat knots.
- To make a triangle shape, start decreasing the number of flat knots in each row. So in the second line, you must have 4 knots. For this, we must omit the first two strands and the two strands at the end. Continue by making four flat knots.
- Make a third row with three flat knots (leaving the first four strands aside and the four strands at the end of the row).
- Now, make a row of 2 flat knots and end the last row with a single flat knot.
- The next step: we make two rows of half-knots diagonally. How to tie this type of knot? We take the left strand, which serves as a support strand. We place it sideways and then connect the knots on this strand. Take the first strand and form a loop. Pass the strand behind the diagonal strand and bring it out in the loop. Tighten and tie a knot again in the same way. Then take the next strand and repeat the process.
- Once your row of half-knots is done on the left side, make a row on the right side.
- Finally, all we have to do is tie all the strings to the hoop using a half-knot.
Also Read: Crafts Tips to initiate Into the Hobby