You can not change your genetics down the journey of life, but you can take care of your health to lower the risk of developing serious health conditions.
A common perception of seeming healthy is actually being healthy is a wrong insight. Although one seems healthy, one has to get regular medical checkups and annual screenings to track his health.
Here is a little guide to follow in each stage of life to keep an eye on your heart health and live each stage to the fullest.
CARE IN YOUR 20’S AND 30’S
Your 20’s and 30’s are generally the stages of life with the lowest health issues. Yet you have to care better for yourself to decrease the health odds in later years.
A healthy regime to follow in these years include:
- Cutting down on stress and getting enough rest
- Using sunscreen daily and reducing the sun exposure
- Avoid tobacco and smoking (specifically second-hand smoking)
- Cutting down alcohol
- Maintaining a healthy weight and body
- Using the barrier method during intercourse
- Always wearing a seatbelt while in a car
It is recommended to get an annual checkup to know about your healthcare concerns even if you don’t feel any need. Till the age of 50, a medical checkup once or twice a year is a prerequisite for avoiding chronic diseases.
A yearly health checkup includes:
- Body Mass Index
- Blood Pressure
- Skin health
Many young men suffer from anxiety, depression, and other mental health affairs. If you are going through this, annual checks are a good chance to talk about this with your doctor.
It is also recommended that everyone from age 14-63 should have one regular HIV test.
QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT ASK YOUR DOCTOR IN YOUR 20’S & 30’s
- Is my body mass index (BMI) good?
- Recommendations to improve my overall health.
- Is there any high chance of developing serious health issues?
- Suggestions for any specific screening test or vaccines?
Preventive measures in 20’s and 30’s:
- For every 24 months, get your teeth checked
- Make sure your vaccines are updated
- Get your annual medical checkup
- One mandatory eyesight checkup in 20’s and twice in your 30’s
- Get an STD checkup every time you have unprotected sex
- Start your once a day multivitamins
Preventive Care in your 40’s:
As you age, weight gain is more common these days. Unfortunately, weight gain also increases the risk of high cholesterol; and blood pressure. Developing good health healthcare like exercising regularly or eating a balanced diet will help you save from this.
Also, when you have a habit of regular checkups, your healthcare provider can assess your future health risks and help you to avoid them. They also get the test for medical issues you don’t even know.
Questions To Ask In Your 40’s:
- Is my blood pressure within a healthy domain?
- Is my heart healthy?
- Recommendation of additional screening tests?
- Is my sugar and lipid level standard?
Preventive Health in 40’s:
- Test your blood pressure annually
- Check your cholesterol level regularly
- Screening test for type 2 diabetes
If you don’t have any serious health issues, you can visit your doctor once every 2-3 years. However, men above the age of 50 should visit the doctor every year for annual screenings.
To live a healthy and active life, you need to break unhealthy habits. You should stop smoking, drinking and use of any illicit drugs. Eating a balanced meal with vitamins and minerals will save you from illness in the long term. You can also benefit from taking multivitamins or other supplements.
You can order your OTC multivitamins and supplements from Ahmed Medico, an online medical store in Karachi. And get it delivered to your doorstep. Find for yourself affordable, preventive care. Health insurance will save you from any health setback. If you don’t have health insurance, find yourself a low-cost healthcare provider in your community area.